11. In a bypass type filtering system for a medium or high speed diesel engine, the lube oil bypassing the filter
A. returns directly to the suction side of the pump
B. returns directly to the sump
C. flows to the engine bearings
D. flows through a second-stage strainer, reheater, and returns to the sump
12. Which of the following statements is true, about slow speed engines?
A. A scavenge fire can lead to a crankcase explosion
B. A scavenge fire can lead to deformation of diaphragm plate
C. A scavenge fire can lead to damage to tie rods.
D. All of the above.
13. A large, low-speed, main propulsion diesel engine uses sea water to directly cool the
A. cylinder heads
B. exhaust valves
C. scavenging air
14. In a 2-stroke marine diesel engine if the o-ring for Jacket cooling water sealing is leaking then
A. The water will leak directly into the crankcase
B. The water will leak into the under piston space
C. The water will come out through tell-tale hole provided between the two o-rings
D. The water will come out from the top of cylinder jacket
15. Irregular circumferential wear of liner due to diminishing neutralizing capacity of cylinder oil away from lubricating holes is known as:
A. Micro seizure
D. Clover leafing
16. The muffling of exhaust gas noise in 4 stroke auxiliary engines in achieved by (Multiple Choices)
A. Allowing the gas to expand.
B. Change the direction of their flow.
C. Cool the gas with injected water.
D. Cool the gas with scavenge air.
17. Any steering gear system alarm can only be successfully acknowledged from
A. The bridge
B. The engine control room
C. The steering compartment
D. The ship’s office
18. To avoid the engine running too long on critical speed during startup it is necessary to
A. Start at speeds above critical speed.
B. Start at speeds just below critical speed and quickly move across the critical speed.
C. Start at maximum speed and quickly bring down to just above critical speed.
D. Eliminate totally the hazards of critical speed by ignoring it.
19. Some 4-stroke engines are fitted with a rotorcap on the cylinder head valves. For what reason?
A. Rotate the inlet valve during operation.
B. Distribute the exhaust gas or the air inlet better to improve combustion.
C. Improve the scaling surface function, increase the service time of the exhaust valve in the engine
D. To prevent the valve spindle from sticking
20. What do you mean by surge limit of a turbocharger?
A. Characteristic curve of a turbocharger
B. Portion of compressor characteristic curve which lies on the left side of the point of maximum pressure
C. A line joining all the points of maximum pressure on compressor characteristic curves , drawn at various speeds of operation
D. All of the above