41. An auxiliary engine turbocharger makes strange noises when the load changes. The engine parameters however are absolutely fine. An external examination of turbocharger parameters as stated in the manual also reveals nothing. Would you
A. Continue to run the engine and wait for some time
B. Stop the engine for a while and make some checks
C. Reduce the load of the engine
D. Run it on steady load to make some checks.
42. When preparing to light off a cold boiler equipped with a return flow fuel oil system, the recirculating valve directs the flow of oil
A. directly to the fuel oil heater inlet for further warm-up
B. back to the fuel oil settler for further filtration
C. back to the suction side of the service pump
D. directly to the deep tanks
43. External fouling of boiler tubes can lead to:
A. Greater steam generation
B. Tube corrosion
C. Tube Erosion
D. Protection of tube against corrosion
44. Types of corrosion in fresh water of D/E
B. hot corrosion
D. selective phase corrosion
45. Which of the following will be required to be done in order to reduce sulphur corrosion of main Engine Components? (Multiple Choice)
A. Increasing the atomization pressure of fuel injectors
B. Fitting exhaust valves with valve rotators
C. Running engine at or near normal sea load
D. Decreasing the F.O. purifier feed rate, running two purifier in series one acting as purifier and other as clarifier
46. Most steam traps respond well to cleaning. But when a thermodynamic trap fails to operate after cleaning, the next course of action should be
A. throttle the steam outlet valve
B. renew the trap
C. lap the disc and seat the trap
D. throttle the steam inlet valve
47. Why does a chain stretch in service?
A. Due to plastic elongation
B. Due to high temperature expansion
C. Due to wear on rollers and bushes
D. Due to the phenomenon of creep
48. Which of the following functions is done by a cam operating an exhaust valve?
A. It governs the timing of opening and closing of the valve.
B. It governs the speed at which the valve operates
C. It governs the amount of opening of the valve
D. All of the above
49. Supercharging an existing medium speed naturally aspirated engine will (Multiple Choice)
A. Reduce weight of the engine.
B. Reduce bulk of the engine.
C. Increase existing power.
D. Increase piston speed.
E. Reduce fuel consumption.
50. Use of Halon as fire extinguishing medium has been discontinued because
A. It is highly toxic
B. It is expensive
C. It has high Ozone depleting potential
D. It leads to acid rains