Scavenging and turbocharging
Q. Describe the causes & prevention of scavenge trunk fire?
Ans: Causes of scavenge fire:
• Accumulation of unburned fuel or cylinder L.O. in scavenge trunk.
• Blow past of the engine due to over load or bad piston rings..
• Bad combustion due to bad fuel management.
• Faulty injector and fuel pump timing.
• Excessive cylinder lubrication.
Prevention of scavenge fire:
• Regular draining, cleaning and monitoring of the scavenge space.
• Correct rate of cylinder lubrication.
• Proper maintenance & correct adjustments of piston rings, cylinder liner and fuel injection equipments.
• Ensure balanced engine.
• Safety devices such as electrical temperature sensing, pressure relief valves should be fitted in the scavenge trunk.